Welcome to the research guide for your DIGI 101 course. This guide describes databases and search tools that you can use to find images and information on digital art and artists at the duPont-Ball Library. It also offers search tips and information about library services.
Artist Research Assignment – Visualizing Social Medium Artist Writing
Research one of the artist/writer contributors from Visualizing Social Medium Artist Writing (list of artists below). Write a paper and create a supplementary slideshow of their artwork.
- Paper addresses the following:
• Who is the artist? Where are they from/currently living?
• What does the work look like and how is it interesting to you?
• What is their educational background?
• What concepts is the artist dealing with through their work?
• How do you think the experience of seeing their work in person would differ from just viewing it in an online format?
• What type of digital processes do they use? If none, are there any analog processes this artist employs that reminds you of the digital processes you are learning in class?
• What materials do they use?
• What type of analog or hand processes do they use?
• How does their work or art practice relate to one or more of the readings for class?
• Feeling ambitious? Reach out to your chosen artist and ask them about their art practice, how it has changed during this pandemic and thank them for making their work!
- Page length: 2-3 pages double spaced.
- Slideshow: 15 to 20 images with a bibliography slide at the end
- Each slide should have ONE image labeled with
• artist’s name
• artwork title
• process used
• materials used
• exhibition name/ current collection (if you can find this information)
• citation of where you found the image - MLA format
- Sources: Minimum of 5 sources.
• At least 3 will be sourced from Stetson’s Library website.
• Do not use Wikipedia or a Google image search as a source
- Bibliographies (MLA format):
• One bibliography for the paper
• One bibliography for the slideshow
Critical Art Ensemble
Bruce High Quality Foundation
Slavs and Tatars
Peter Rostovsky/David Geers
Raqs Media Collective
Natascha Sadr Haghighian
Young-Hae Chang Heavy Industries